Handling and Storage of Fireworks

Legal Requirements

The Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005[4] permit you to keep up to 50 kg (NEC) of Hazard type 4 fireworks for no longer than 21 days without the need for a registration or a licence, provided that these are not for sale or for use at work . This is intended to assist private individuals and voluntary organisations that wish to organise a larger firework display. (Hazard type 4 fireworks are the types of less powerful fireworks generally sold at retailers - these provisions do not apply to Category 4 fireworks and may not apply to certain more powerful Category 3 fireworks). If you are in doubt please check with your supplier or with your local licensing authority. Please note that the requirements of the regulations to store the fireworks safely will continue to apply.

If you wish to use the fireworks for a commercial display or for some other work purpose, or you wish to store a larger quantity of fireworks, or more powerful fireworks then you will normally need to register or licence[5] with your local licensing authority. Please note that if you wish to buy more than 50 kg of fireworks you will need to produce your registration certificate or licence.

The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsidiary legislation covers firework displays which involves a work activity (ie where at least one person will be involved on a professional basis). This legislation places duties in respect of the health and safety of everyone involved in arranging and giving the display, the spectators and other people near the display site.


Useful links